This page is about the concept of time, as applied on the drums.
Time, or time keeping, is the first and foremost function of a drummer.
Honor the time between the notes. What you play is equally important to what you do play.
The key to successful time keeping is the ability to play the subdivisions correctly.
Subdivision is the division of the main notes of the beat.
- Play really slow tempos
- Play different subdivisions
- Record yourself playing
- Problems and Solutions With Rushing and Dragging. Plenty of links on this page.
- How To Develop ROCK SOLID TIMING! w/ Beatdown Brown (link)
- How to Play Tight to a Metronome (link)
- Building your internal clock, Drumeo (link)
- Simple Exercise To Improve Timing (link)
- Everything Is Timekeeping, Peter Erskine (link)
- Peter Erskine on Keeping Time (link)
- Quick drum lesson: how to improve timing and note spacing (link)
- The “Secret” to Improving Your Rhythm and Time by Chick Corea (link)