Drum practice should be exercised daily. The recommended time is 1-2 hours.
Two times per week are classes with an instructor. All other days, students do their homework and exercises.
- enjoy practice
- practice daily
- have a practice plan
Before any practice perform warm-ups.
Areas to practice are listed on Practice Elements page.
Example lesson plan:
- Warm-ups: rudiments. (5 minutes)
- Theory/Book/Technique: (15 minutes)
- Song/Play/Form: (15 minutes)
- Drum Lesson Plan link
- Jojo Mayer guide link
- Garey Weber: rudiments/technique (warmup), coordination/interdependence, reading/writing music, playing along.
- The 45-Minute Practice Routine: Get Organized to Optimize Your Time Behind the Kit link and PDF
- How to practice for maximum progress