Here are some useful exercises for practice. A few exercises are listed on WarmUp page.
- Functional practicing (link), contains 13 practice patterns in PDF.
Exercises without sticks
- Fist clenching (forearm and hand muscle buildup) and stretching.
- Jojo’s hand claping, link.
- Charles Wilcoxon: place fingertips on the table and lift palms. Tap left index finger and right middle finger in rapid succession.
- Open/close technique, double-stroke roll, Dave Weckl (link)
- Exercises for Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel (link)
- clap all fingers against the palm (Mike Johnston)
- pinch thumb and first finger, then work the other fingers. (wrist/finger exercises #3)
- Individual finger contraction, for muscles and control.
- upside-down stick (link). Wrist in the “up” position, then work the fingers only.
- Reverse stick (wrist/finger exercises #4). Hold the top of the stick in the hand, tap the bottom of the stick against the bottom of the forearm.
Traditional grip, left hand:
- Traditional Grip Finger Control, link): fulcrum finger (thumb), 2, 3, 4, 5.
- Bounce the stick with fingers only. Start from thumb, then rotate the hand clockwise. Transition to bounce with index finger and then to middle finger, and back. (Dave Weckl; see here)
Lessons from Drumeo (link).
- 16th notes, leading with the weak hand, across the set. Play at 60BPM.
- LH/RF 8th notes across the set, 60BPM
- Moeller with the weak hand,
- at 120BPM for 3-stroke (Stroke + 2 rebounds)
- or 90BPM for 4-stroke (3 rebounds)
- Bursting with the weak hand (60 BPM)
Not sure if this much exercise is needed but worth checking-out:
Feet exercises can also be done without a pedal.
- Clap feet on the floor
- Foot Speed (link)
- Jojo Mayer exercises: down beat, tap/up, up beat, down/tap. (link)
- Rocking motion / heal/toe (link)
See also exercises on the Bass page.